Research Associate Trait Discovery
Coldenhovelaan 6, De Lier, Netherlands
Dümmen Orange is an international leading breeding company focused on cut flowers, bulbs, tropical plants, pot plants, bedding plants and perennials. Our organization grows and flourishes. To strengthen our Research department in De Lier, we are looking for a Research Associate Trait Discovery.
As Research Associate Trait Discovery your aim is to develop tools and technologies that contribute to the discovery of traits in several ornamental crops. With your background in genetics, phenotyping, experimental design and statistics you contribute to the development of populations for genetic studies, phenotyping methods and experiments for a variety of traits in different crops. In addition you support the pre-breeding activities through the acquisition and maintenance of genetic resources and transfer of traits to breeding. Daily activities are dynamic, consisting of hands-on activities, project management and people leadership. You will work independently and as part of a team within and between disciplines (including Genetics, Plant Physiology and Phytopathology) and manage relationships with stakeholders such as Operations and Breeding. You are based in our R&D center in De Lier and report to the Technology Lead Trait Exploration. The ability to travel to other company locations in the Netherlands and Germany is highly desired.
Your tasks and responsibilities
• Initiate, manage and execute research projects focused on Trait Discovery for our ornamental crops;
• Collect and maintain our genetic resources database and manage our compliance to global rules and policies;
• Develop innovative and efficient methods for phenotyping large germplasm panels;
• Search and read scientific papers, write protocols and literature reviews;
• Provide direct and functional leadership to individuals;
• Guide the implementation of new breeding techniques;
• Strengthen the knowledge base of Dümmen Orange regarding our prioritized traits;
• Perform scouting activities for novel relevant methods, tools and technologies.
• Relevant MSc degree in plant breeding, genetics or a related discipline with at least 2 years of work experience in a relevant field of breeding technology;
• Needed experience with project management, phenotyping methods, experimental design, image analysis, data collection, statistical analysis and visualization;
• Desired experience with the data and image analysis programs R and ImageJ. Experience with other relevant programming languages are a plus;
• Able to handle (plan and execute) a large diversity of activities including project management and hands-on tasks in the greenhouse and laboratory;
• Able to work independently as well as in multidisciplinary teams;
• Analytical and critical mindset with strong problem-solving and pro-active attitude;
• Excellent communication skills and command of the English language, both verbal and written. Dutch is preferred.
Dümmen Orange has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a challenging working environment in which you can develop yourself. Dümmen Orange offers its employees plenty of room for personal growth and development. We have an informal and easy accessible working environment in which cooperation is very important.
Dümmen Orange is a worldwide leader in breeding and development of flowers and plants. Our annual turnover is around 370 million euro. We have more than 7.300 employees worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a diversified network of specialized production sites. The key to our Dümmen Orange success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. We take pride in our corporate social responsibility efforts investing in the health, safety, and personal development of our staff as well as in innovative and sustainable techniques.
Click on the button below to apply for this job. If you have questions about the job, you can contact Ana Campos (Technology Lead Trait Exploration) via +31 174 530 100.
Acquisition with reference to this advertisement will not be appreciated.